Kantify is looking for a talented Junior Machine Learning Engineer to join the team and become part of a fast-growing and friendly startup building cutting edge technologies at the crossroads between AI, Business and Finance.
Why work at Kantify
At Kantify, we help some of the world's best companies to apply solid data science in their businesses, by building tailor-made and AI-powered software. We are a team of experienced entrepreneurs, engineers, data scientists, and all round friendly people. We received numerous awards and recognitions for our work, including by NVIDIA and Microsoft, and were featured in the Wall Street Journal for work we did regarding Artificial Intelligence for dynamic pricing. We are incubated by StartIt@KBC and Euratechnologies. Our clients range from scale-ups to multinationals, and are present in various sectors: finance, retail, pharmaceuticals, industry, ... We are growing quickly and fully self-funded (that's a good thing in case you were wondering).
We are a diverse, partially distributed team. We have offices in Brussels, Belgium, but some of our team members are working from different countries. We work hard, but value the quality of life of everyone in the team: some of us are young parents, some of us combine additional degrees with our work, and all of us attempt to not have deadlines that ruin our weekends and holidays. We value results rather than spending late nights at the office. We don't hold meetings until there's a point to having one, we don't do unnecessary bureaucracy, and we try to generate as many learning experiences for everyone in the team as possible.
We work on a whole set of super interesting problems, ranging from computer vision, time series prediction, natural language processing, personalized recommendations, pricing and discounting, and much more. To deal with these problems, we use some pretty cool technologies: Python for our data science, VueJS for dashboards, D3JS for visualizations, Docker and Kubernetes for devops, ...
Our offices in Brussels
What we are looking for
- Ability to learn: Your ability to learn matters more than what you know right now: Programming languages and libraries can be learned (and googled), but curiosity is much harder to acquire. You have a clear history of taking on tasks and projects that were outside of your comfort zone. While this skill to learn might be made evident through your academic background, it doesn't need to be: we value people who are self-thought and have shown excellence in other ways than through academia as well.
- Practicality: There are often many roads to the same destination. You excel (or at least attempt to excel) at finding the practical path: one where you manage to actually get things done, in a way that is reasonably sustainable. You generally recognize the perils of both quick fixes on one hand (it's great in the short term, but it bites you in the long term), and over-engineering on the other hand (when did an over-engineered project ever get shipped?).
- Reliability: You are a person of your word. When you say you do things, you take on responsibility to achieve that goal - because really, would you want to work with a bunch of people you cannot rely on? We neither ;)
- Autonomy: As a small team, we expect you to be able to work in autonomy, which also means that you need to ask questions when you are stuck.
- Friendliness and communication skills: You believe that a smile and a bit of feedback from time to time can truly prevent most of the world's daily problems. We are actively looking for people with a positive demeanor, and strive to create a friendly environment for everyone to work in - and you should play a crucial role in achieving this goal.
We do not discriminate based on gender, age, race, sexual preference, religion, or disability.
What you'll do
- Work on complex business & machine learning projects Most of our clients come to us with very complex, often unclear problems, for instance in Price Prediction and Dynamic Pricing, which are fields in which Kantify has a great track record. These problems are at the intersection between AI, Business and Finance. With the support of some experienced team members, you help them navigate these problems, analyse the data sources, and formulate a plan of action. This could mean guiding them to use an existing API or solution, but most often this means creating custom-built models and software for them. In the latter case, the challenge is to create models and software that have the highest return for our clients; meaning that you should be able to help discover which parts deliver the value that our clients are looking for.
- Help Translate business problems in software: You'll spend most of your time building AI-powered software, which includes both back-end tasks (curating data, creating data pipelines, creating machine learning algorithms, ...) and front-end work (creating dashboards, graphs, ...). You'll spend a lot of time learning how to do all of this too - that's part of the job.
- Pass on your knowledge: Learned something new? Have you discovered an awesome new algorithm that beats all the previously known benchmarks? Think your unit tests are worthy of being painted on the ceiling of the Vatican? Great: we count on you to help train your colleagues and share your knowledge when you can.
Our clients are located in the whole of Europe so your work might involve occasional travels.
The interview process
Our interview process is done in two parts:
- Technical interview: you solve a simplified real-world case using a programming language you know. You get to use all the tools at your disposal (including search engines, but not including your programmer friend). We are there to help you.
- Get-to-know-you interview: an interview where we get to know who you are as a person (and you get to ask all the questions you have).
We usually give feedback quickly, if possible even at the end of each interview!
Send us your cv and tell us more about why you think you're a good fit at email@example.com
Deadline for applications : 30/07/2018.